To mark the National Youth Day, on 23 May 2021, the ‘Together at Home’ campaign was launched under five thematic areas to promote the spirit of volunteerism during the lockdown. The campaign was designed to inspire young people to initiate a series of volunteering activities within their households while adhering to health guidelines, and shared useful information around five thematic areas. The campaign spanned for over three weeks from 16 May – 14 June 2021.
This initiative was done in collaboration with the Ministry of Youth and Sports, the National Youth Services Council, WHO, UNDP, Sri Lanka Scouts and AIESEC.
CAMPAIGN LAUNCH VIDEOS
Thematic Areas to Volunteer (Based on SDGs)
01. Ensure sustainable consumption and production patterns
02. Take urgent action to combat climate change and its impacts
03. Ensure inclusive and equitable quality education and promote lifelong learning opportunities for all
04. Ensure healthy lives and promote well-being for all at all ages
05. Promote just, peaceful and inclusive societies by living together in harmony
All participants were required to highlight their volunteering initiatives in creative digital form publishing them on social media platforms; Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and Tik Tok, using designated hashtags and tagging designated pages and accounts. These social media posts were evaluated, and the most innovative volunteering ideas based on the thematic areas were recognized.
Together at home weekly videos
To motivate the youth to volunteer at home under each thematic area, 5 characters were given life in this campaign to share information and fun activities. The campaign also observed international days including World Environment Day and World Ocean Day and had interactive posts to encourage more youth to practice achieving SDGs in their daily lives.
During the three weeklong campaign UNV received over 90 volunteer submissions covering the five thematic areas from across Sri Lanka. Five volunteer initiatives received special recognition for their volunteering efforts.
1. Foundation of Goodness - THEME 1 (SDG 12) Sustainable Consumption and Production
2. The Ethugalpura Pioneers' District Rover Crew - THEME 2 (SDG 13) Combat Climate Change
3. Jemima Uthayakumar - THEME 3 (SDG 4) Education for All
4. Homagama District Scout Branch - THEME 4 (SDG 3) Health and Wellbeing
5. Foundation of Goodness - THEME 5 (SDG 16) Peace and Harmony